Thanks for showing up.
So, you're probably thinking...what is Irish (Gaelic) football?
Great question. And it's one asked by many people reaching out to us for the first time. It's a mix of soccer, rugby, basketball, volleyball, team handball and likely some other sports you've played.
Above all, know this: The sport is a blast, and our club (established in 2014) is all about fun.
We have drop-in matches all spring and fall on Saturday or Sunday afternoons at Van Dyke Park in Fairfax City. And, if the weather cooperates, we play a handful times in the winter.
There is no experience necessary to play. We invite men, women and teens to jump into the fray.
Here's a quick video that gives a little flavor. (No, we don't always play on Sundays...Saturdays are fair game, too).
Reach out to the club founder, Mike McCarthy, at firstname.lastname@example.org to get on our weekly email list.
8 reasons why you'll love playing
- It's free. We don't collect any dues, Lotto tickets or exotic jewelry to play.
- Everyone is welcome—seriously.
- You can learn to play in 10 minutes or less.
- You can use your hands (that's right, we're looking at you, soccer).
- We play co-ed matches (our women are exceptional and otherwise badass).
- It's a great workout and perfect cross-training.
- Our club members are great peeps.
- We have been known to hit up Auld Shebeen after matches.